After several steps of the selection process a committee makes a selection from among the applicants. In making the selection much consideration is given to the programme’s high demands on vocal and performance ability. The studies also presuppose solid knowledge of music theory.
The admission process consists of four selection tests. In the first test the evaluation of the applicants is based on the material uploaded through Varbi with the application (sound file and video). The second, third and fourth tests of the admission process take place at the University College of Opera, address Teknikringen 35 in Stockholm, from February 10th until 13th, 2020.
Selection tests for applicants to the Bachelor's and Master's programs take place at the same time, but in separate groups.
The singing tests consist of works of your own choice.
You should prepare a total of seven pieces according to the following:
- Six arias from operatic works
- One song or lied
You may perform one of these pieces in your native language. The others should be performed in the original language.
Selection test 1
This first test is assessed from the video and sound recording you have uploaded in your application.
The jury committee will decide who continues to Selection test 2.
All applicants will be informed whether they go on to Selection test 2 or not, through Varbi at the latest week 5.
Selection test 2
Monday February 10, 2020
You will sing an aria of you own choice. A pianist from The University College of Opera will be available to play with you, so please bring the sheet music for the pianist. The jury committee might want you to also sing another aria.
The jury committee will then decide who continues to Selection test 3. All applicants will get notice through e-mail from the Varbi system, and the applicants that go on to the third round will get a schedule for the upcoming days.
Selection test 3
Tuesday and Wednesday February 11 – 12, 2020
These tests will also take place at the University College of Opera and a pianist will be available.
- Musical interpretation test. Individual test in front of the jury committee, 15 minutes. You will work with an aria from your repertoire list with a teacher from the University College of Opera. Which aria you will be working with will be decided by the jury after their meeting on Monday evening.
- Performance/scenic movement test. Individual test in front of a jury committee, 15 minutes. You will work staging a scene with a director in front of the jury with an aria from your list where we are looking for personal creativity, social skills, the use of body language and artistic expression. Please bring the sheet music for the pianist.
- Interview, 15 minutes.
- Music theory test: a practical individual test where you will have 15 minutes to learn a short song with access to a piano.
- Music theory test: (is carried out in groups) A written/theoretical test that contains questions about terminology, chords, key signatures etc.
Below is a description of the contents in the test.
Music Theory Test, written
- Recognize different types of chords (major and minor triads, dominant seventh chords, minor seventh chords, major seventh chords, diminished seventh chords)
- Decide the function of a tone (root, third, fifth or seventh) in different kind of chords
- Detect abnormalities in a notation
- Rhythm - enter the correct option, select one of three given rhythms
- Music Theory
- Explain typical tempo markings
- Explain common terms and phenomena
- key signatures
- time signatures
- Mark the beats in a given rhythmic example
- Complete incomplete rhythms with pauses
- Reduce a simple, short, harmonic progression - describe the progression with chord names or functional analysis
- Describe the form in a given musical example.
The jury committee will then decide who continues to Selection test 4. All applicants will get notice through e-mail from the Varbi system, and the applicants that go on to the fourth round will get a schedule for the upcoming day.
Selection test 4
Thursday February 13, 2020
You sing an aria of your own choice. The jury committee may also ask you to sing other pieces from your list.
A pianist from The University College of Opera will be available to play with you from Selection test 2.
Notification about Admittance
Notification regarding which applicants that are accepted to the program or placed as reserves will be sent out in e-mail through Varbi system. This might take a few weeks after the admission tests.
If you have questions, please send an e-mail to email@example.com, and name it Opera.