International exchanges

SKH offers students the opportunity to participate in international exchanges between universities in different countries. This is done through the EU-funded Erasmus+ exchange programme.

The university’s international collaborations have a major impact on education and research at Stockholm University of the Arts (SKH). Through a lively dialogue with the outside world and close collaboration with colleges and universities around the world, we improve the quality of our activities and give students and staff the opportunity to develop.

An important part of this is the possibility for international exchanges between universities in different countries. SKH participates in the EU-funded Erasmus+ exchange program. Through the program, exchanges take place via partner agreements between SKH and other higher education institutions, which means that you as a student do not pay any tuition fees. As an exchange student within the Erasmus+ program, you will also receive a scholarship.

Erasmus+ exchange studies and traineeships

Within Erasmus+ Mobility Higher Education, students have the possibility to study or do a traineeship period in another European country. The aim of the program is to improve competence and the quality of education and to strengthen students' skills and competitiveness in the labour market. Programme students at SKH have the opportunity to carry out exchanges or traineeships within the scope of the Erasmus+ programme. SKH also accepts students from other European higher education institutions who carry out exchange studies with us.

Exchange studies and traineeships as SKH student

As a student at SKH, you have the opportunity, as part of your education, to travel on an exchange semester or participate in a blended mobility at one of our partner universities or carry out a traineeship period in any of the countries participating in the Erasmus+ program. Which semester is best suited to apply for an exchange or tranieeship varies between different education programmes.

To be able to participate in Erasmus+ exchange studies and receive a scholarship, you must:

  • Be a registered and active student at SKH with the intention of taking a degree.
  • Intend to study full time.
  • Be gone for at least two months (60 days) and a maximum of one year (360 days) per education cycle.
  • Establish a study plan, a so-called Learning Agreement for Studies.
  • Get the exchange studies credited at SKH.
  • Answer an electronic survey after completion of the exchange.
  • Not at the same time receive more scholarships for the same activity from the EU or the University and College Council, UHR.

To be able to participate in Erasmus+ blended mobility, the following requirements needs to be filled: 

  • You carry out a physical mobility that lasts for 5-30 days and which is to be combined with a virtual component that takes place either before, during or after the physical mobility.
  • The virtual part must be an organized component with learning outcomes and results.
  • The length of the virtual part is flexible, but the whole mobility must correspond to at least 3 ECTS.
  • You can only receive a scholarship for the physical part of the mobility.

To be able to participate in Erasmus+ traineeship and receive a scholarship, you must:

  • Be a registered and active student at SKH with the intention of taking a degree.
  • Intend to study full time.
  • Be gone for at least two months (60 days) and a maximum of one year (360 days) per education cycle.
  • Arrange a place for the traineeship with relevance to your education. 
  • Establish a plan for the traineeship, a so-called Learning Agreement for Traineeships.
  • Get the traineeship credited at SKH, or as mentioned in the Diploma Supplement.

There are three different forms of traineeships within Erasmus+:

  • Credited traineeship: You complete a traineeship period within the framework of your study program and have the traineeship credited as higher education credits.
  • Non-credited traineeship: You complete a traineeship period outside regular study periods, e.g. during the summer, and the internship is recognized as a mention in the Diploma Supplement.
  • Traineeship as a so-called "Recent graduate": You complete a traineeship period within 12 months after completing your studies, but before you apply for your Degree Diploma. Note! that you must apply for a traineeship at the latest during your last semester as a student, as you are still registered at SKH.  

More information about the program and how to apply can be found here on the intranet. You are also welcome with your questions to:

Coming to SKH as an exchange student 

SKH welcomes international students from our partner universities to apply for an exchange period with us. Inbound students have the opportunity to apply for the places that the departments advertise.

In Sweden, the academic calendar is divided into two semesters:

  • Autumn semester: Turn of the month August/September to mid-January
  • Spring semester: Mid-January to beginning of June

Exchange places are usually announced for a full semester corresponding to 30 higher education credits/30 ECTS.

Call for applications takes place twice per academic year:

  • 15 March–15 April (for applicants to places next academic year)
  • 15 October–15 November (for applicants to places next semester)

The announcements are published on our education page for exchange places. You apply via the online application portal Easy. More information on how to submit your application can be found in Easy's user manual for students.

Please note that SKH only accepts applications sent via the Easy portal during the application period. We will not consider any applications from students sent by e-mail or regular mail.

For information on how to be selected as an exchange student within the Erasmus+ programme, please contact the international coordinator at your home university. Applications are submitted via the Easy application portal. The following documents will be requested:

  • Letter of motivation
  • CV
  • Transcript of records
  • Certificate that you are a registered student at a higher education institution
  • Nomination from your university
  • Depending on the program or course you are applying for: video, audio file, portfolio or other form of work sample that is requested

Inquiries and nominations can be sent to:


Visa and residence permit

For citizens in countries outside of the EU/EEA who plan to study in Sweden for more than three months, a residence permit for studies is required. You need to apply for and be granted a residence permit before leaving for Sweden.

For more information about residence permits and the application process, see the Swedish Migration Board's website.


As an incoming exchange student, you are insured via Kammarkollegiet's insurance Student IN. Read more about the insurance at Kammarkollegiet.

Students from EU/EEA countries must bring their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The card entitles you to medical care for the same costs as Swedish citizens.


SKH has three rooms for rent to incoming exchange students in the Lappkärrsberget student housing area. The rooms are furnished with own shower and WC, as well as a shared kitchen and living room. If you are accepted as an exchange student, you will be able to register interest in one of the rooms. If there are more interested students than the number of rooms, the rooms are distributed by drawing lots.

Aside from the rooms, SKH is in a limited capacity to assist exchange students with accommodation. We therefore ask you to start looking for accommodation as soon as possible, should you be admitted. Tips and guidance can be found on our website HERE.

Grading scale and study certificate

At SKH, the following grading scale is used:

VG - Väl godkänd (Pass with distinction)
G - Godkänd (Pass)
U - Underkänd (Fail)

For some courses, only Pass (G) and Fail (U) are used. As an exchange student, you have the right to have your grades expressed in the ECTS scale.

Upon completion of your studies, a Transcript of Records will be issued documenting credits and grades obtained.

Useful links

Exchange studies on your own

If you as a student wants to study at a higher education institution that does not participate in an exchange programme or with which SKH does not have an exchange agreement, you can choose to apply there on your own as a “freemover”.

As a freemover, you can choose where you wish to study. However, you must also be prepared to take responsibility for all preparations, including contact with the foreign higher education institution, and must also pay any tuition fees yourself.

Students travelling as freemovers must apply for approved leave from their studies for the period during which they will be studying at the foreign higher education institution. Any credit transfers are applied for after completion of the exchange.

If you are an international student and wish to study at SKH without participating in an exchange program, you apply via the regular admission.