Music and Circus in Dialogue
Welcome to experience live improvised circus and music that is part of a doctoral research project conducted by circus researcher Marie-Andrée Robitaille.
Inspired by the experimental utopian ideas of the Bauhaus movement Music and Circus in Dialogue explore an open-ended circus and musical piece in which are developed visual and audible collective patterns, a type of transforming and responsive organic system. The piece is totally improvised live!
Music and Circus in Dialogue is the final piece of the project ECO-CIRCUS and HIDDEN CIRCUS. Music and Circus in Dialogue echoes the doctoral research project Circus as Dialogue conducted by circus researcher Marie-Andrée Robitaille at DOCH, the School of Dance and Circus/Stockholm University of the Arts in Sweden.
The work experiments with artistic expressions from a dialogical perspective and aims to develop new tools that favour the emergence of abilities for collaborative processes.
The performance builds on a series of compositional and improvisational methods developed in our previous projects:
- Music in Disorder (2016-18, Vetenskapsrådet)
- Revoid Ensemble (2015-16, Musikverket)
- Gynoïdes Project and Sound of Circus (2010-16 Uniarts, Kulturbryggan, Musikverket, Swedish Art Council, Swedish Art Grant Committee, Stockholm City, Stockholm County, Canada council for the arts).
- Klas Nevrin - keyboard
- Ricard Österstam - drums
- Hara Alonso - sound design
- Florence Huet - juggling hoop
- Eduardo Cardozo - paper manipulation
- Kajsa Bohlin - cyr wheel and dance-acrobatic
The transformable and wearable scenography is conceived in collaboration with Marie-Andrée Robitaille and installation artist Rachel Wingfield.
The light is designed by Vilhelm Montan Lindberg.
The music is composed and improvised by Klas Nevrin in collaboration with Ricard Österstam. The piece has been developed in close cooperation with the artists on stage and with the dramaturgical input of Martin Sonderkamp, Ben Richter and Ivar Heckscher.
The piece is directed by Marie-Andrée Robitaille.
The piece will also be performed at Festival Total Stage, at the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Bauhaus Movement at the school of Bauhaus in Dessau, Germany! September 13-14 2019 22.30-23.30.
Credit picture: Eninar Kling Odencrants for Gynoïdes Project
Artist on the picture Veera Kaijanen.
Support and partnership
- Bauhaus Dessau Foundation
- Nordic Innovative Juggling
- Stockholm University of the Arts
- Kristofferscenen, Kristofferskolan
- Swedish Art Council
- Swedish Art Grant Committee
- Stockholm City, Stockholm County