Preparing for your stay

Students in Sweden are covered by the personal injury insurance (the general student insurance) that is obtained on behalf of universities and colleges within the State insurance system. The insurance applies in Sweden during school hours and during travel to and from the location where school hours are spent. » Read more here

We recommend you to make sure that you have a sufficient insurance for other things, such as accidents, loss of personal property, householders' comprehensive insurance, etc. Contact your own insurance company to see what they consider the best for your stay here in Sweden.

Medical insurance
Students from any of the Nordic or EU/EEA member countries should bring the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), issued by the social insurance office in your home country. The card states that you are entitled to health care on the same conditions and at the same price as permanent residents in Sweden. Bring the card whenever you seek medical care. The European Commission has developed an EHIC app with more information on the card and how it works. » Read more here 
If European health insurance cards are not yet issued in your country, ask for a form E128, or a form E111. Students that do not register with their social insurance office in their home country need to arrange their own insurance cover. This is also easiest to do in your home country. Medical treatment is expensive without any form of health insurance.

For further questions contact your local International office.

Financial issues
The Swedish currency is krona, abbreviated as SEK or kr. Credit cards are widely accepted and you can use credit cards for direct payments, as well as for bank cash withdrawals. Consult your bank regarding the best arrangement for gaining access to money during your stay in Sweden. A good idea is to have a card connected to your home bank account. We do not recommend the use of personal cheques, as their use is only possible if the holder has an account in a Swedish bank.

Approximate costs per month
Study in Sweden

Residence permits/Visa issues
Students from outside the European Union must have a student resident permit. Please contact the Swedish embassy in advance, for more information.

Visa and residence permits for citizens of Nordic countries: Citizens from Nordic countries do not need a visa or residence permit to study in Sweden.

Visa and residence permits for citizens from non-Nordic EU/EEA countries: If you are a citizen of a non-Nordic EU/EEA country you have a right to reside in Sweden. The term "right to reside” means that a EU/EEA citizen is permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit. However, you must register with the Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country. Necessary information and application forms are found on the » Swedish Migration Board click on Studies, then click on Application forms, then click on the form.

Please note that if you are a citizen of Switzerland you must apply for a residence permit.

The Swedish Institute (Svenska Institutet) has information on scholarships available to international students and researchers on its website. There are many Swedish, European and international foundations that award scholarships. Here are some websites that might be of relevance to you:

» The Swedish Institute
» The Swedish Research Council
» Global Grant

In case SKH can offer a scholarship for international students, this will be posted on our website in connection to the programme applicable for the scholarship.